September 26 Scholastic Orders Due
September 28 Extra PE 2-3:00
October 6 All School Meeting and Spirit Day (Pajamas)
October 9 Library Visit
October 13 No School
Homework Due by Thursday, September 28th
1. Read for at least 20 minutes every night.
2. Complete at least 30 minutes of math practice**
3. Complete at least 20 minutes of typing practice.
Create your own username and password for Typing.com by going to our class page, or 4th graders can log in with their FGCS gmail account!
**Math Homework Expectations
- Every week, the math homework will be to complete at least 30 minutes of math practice.
- We will provide student accounts for an online math program called DreamBox - this information was sent home with Plovers last week. Please let me know if you did not receive your student's username and password.
- Khan Academy is another option for online math practice. If you would like, you can easily add me as a coach:
- Log in (or sign up) at khanacademy.org
- Visit khanacademy.org/coaches (the “Coaches” tab in your profile).
- In the “Add a coach” field, enter our class code: XJDZM8
- If your family would prefer to practice math skills in a different way (practice books, worksheets, flash cards, math games or other online resources), please send in your student's work OR send me an email before Thursday morning letting me know how they completed their 30 minutes of weekly math practice.
Upcoming Out and Abouts - Chaperones Needed
This Wednesday, we will join the Puffins at Rogers Park for more hands-on activities related to our study of Native Americans. We will be outside all afternoon, so please help your student dress appropriately for the weather. Plovers should also bring a water bottle and a snack.
Next week, students will rehearse and preform Native American folk tale plays in the Backyard Garden. On October 11th, we will have an in-class presentation from the Museum of Natural and Cultural History. Students will learn how Native Americans used science and engineering to create tools, homes, clothing, and more – passing this knowledge down through generations. They will also have a chance to explore artifacts designed by Oregon’s first engineers and try out their own engineering skills!
Scholastic Reading Clubs - Due Tomorrow!
Class Code: L79X9
Order Due Date: 9/26/17 by 5:00pm
You can view this month's selections and submit your order online at https://orders.scholastic.com/L79X9. When you place your order online, you'll help earn FREE books for our class!
First Time Ordering Online?
- Go to scholastic.com/readingclub
- Enter our one-time Class Activation Code: L79X9
- Shop and submit your child's book order.
- Your books will be delivered directly to the classroom.
1. Breakfast Donations - Cereal and fruit needed this Friday (9/29)
2. Mystery Readers - I have 2 spots available every Tuesday and Thursday for mystery readers, but I can add more if those times do not work with your schedule. Please email me if you need to schedule an alternative time.
3. Out & About Chaperones - Chaperones needed this Wednesday (9/27 12:15 - 3:00) for Native American activities at Rogers Park.
Classroom jobs began last week! Employees will keep their current jobs for about 8 weeks, and then they will have the opportunity to apply for a new job. Employees receive a check from the payroll department every other week and later in the year they will be able to buy exciting rewards with their classroom currency (like dance parties, show-and-tell and beanie baby sleepovers). Students will need to keep track of their earnings and they will also pay rent. They can earn bonuses for completing extra assignments or stewardship jobs or receive fines for not taking care of classroom resources or personal belongings.