September 28 All Day Out & About
Homework Due by Thursday, September 29th
1. Read for at least 20 minutes every night.
2. Complete at least 30 minutes of math practice.*
3. Complete at least 20 minutes of typing practice on Typing.com (remember, you can log in with your FGCS Google account!)
* Math Homework Expectations
- Every week, the math homework will be to complete at least 30 minutes of math practice. We will be using DreamBox this year for online math practice. Please see the Homework page for details about logging in to DreamBox at home.
- If your family would prefer to practice math skills in a different way (practice books, worksheets, flash cards, math games or other online resources), please send in your student's work OR send me an email before Thursday morning letting me know how they completed their 30 minutes of weekly math practice.
- Some families are already using Khan Academy at home for math practice. If you would like, you can easily add me as a coach:
- Log in (or sign up) at khanacademy.org
- Visit khanacademy.org/coaches (the “Coaches” tab in your profile).
- In the “Add a coach” field, enter our class code: XJDZM8
Upcoming Out and Abouts - Chaperones Needed!
This Wednesday, we will be gone all day on a trip to Metro Central Transfer Station and the Hazardous Waste Facility in Portland. For this Out & About, it is important that students dress appropriately for the weather because we will be outside most of the day. Everyone MUST wear closed toed shoes or boots for the tour of the hazardous waste facility! Students who ordered a school lunch will get a sack lunch that contains a sandwich, fresh fruit, fresh vegetable and milk.
Next week, the Plovers will participate in a LEGO engineering lab brought to FGCS by an Intel Outreach program. We will have a special guest teacher facilitate the activity and talk about supply chain (source, make, deliver, reuse).
Breakfast Donations - Fruit and cereal/bagels needed this Friday.
Mystery Readers - Times available this Thursday or next Tuesday.
Out & About Chaperones - Chaperones needed this Wednesday 9:30-2:00.
Classroom jobs began last week! Employees will keep their current jobs for about 8 weeks, and then they will have the opportunity to apply for a new job. I am so grateful that the students have been eager to help each other and the classroom! Everything is looking so well taken care of! Employees receive a check from the payroll department every other week and later in the year they will be able to buy exciting rewards with their classroom currency (like dance parties, show-and-tell and beanie baby sleepovers). Students will need to keep track of their earnings and pay rent. They can also earn bonuses, for completing extra assignments or stewardship jobs, or receive fines for not taking care of classroom resources or personal belongings.
- How many different kinds of workers work in this business community?
- What are some of the responsibilities of these workers?
- In what ways are these workers alike? In what ways are these workers different?
Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Parents and students can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also leave a voice message on the class phone or set up a time to meet with me before/after school.