January 18 All School Meeting and Spirit Day (Bowties and suspenders)
January 21 No School
January 30 Out & About to Top Golf 9am-11am
Jan 31-Feb 1 No School
Homework Due by Friday, January 18th
1. Read for at least 20 minutes every night.
2. Complete 20 minutes of typing practice.
3. Complete at least 30 minutes of math practice (click here for DreamBox).
4. Optional - Compete Opinion Paragraph of the Week
Prompt: Should students be allowed to use calculators in school when doing math? Support your opinion.
Upcoming Out and Abouts
This week, we will have a visit from the creators of Twin Pine Country Club - a free neighborhood mini golf course in Portland. Next week, we will have a visit from SCRAP - a creative reuse store in Portland. They will share some ideas for working with recycled materials and lead a craft project to help us get ready for building our mini golf course! On January 30th, we will have our Out & About in the morning to Top Golf in Hillsboro.
Out & About Chaperones - Needed 1/30 for Top Golf, and 2/6 and 2/13 for in class mini golf building
Library Chaperones - Sign ups now posted through the end of the year!
Community Breakfast - Fruit and cereal/bagels needed for Friday breakfast in February
Last week, Level 2 students attended a theatrical presentation by Metro called, “I JUST DON’T BUY THAT!” This show reminded students about how the choices they make when shopping or disposing of unwanted items impacts the environment. The assembly contained three key concepts:
- Natural resources are used to make the things we need or want but are limited.
- There are many things each of us can do to reduce our impact on the earth.
- Advertising and peer pressure affect buying habits.
What can Plovers do at home?
THINK BEFORE YOU BUY! Try to buy only what you need, in a way that will keep your earth footprint small. Next time you go shopping, ask yourself these questions before you buy:
- Do I need it? How often will I use it?
- Is it durable? How long will it last?
- Is there another way to get the same item that will use fewer resources or create less waste?
- Can I borrow it from a friend?
- Organize a swap meet with friends for toys and games.
- Wait to upgrade electronics such as games and phones.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers.
- Borrow books and DVDs from the library.
- Bring a reusable bottle to school for water.
Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Parents and students can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also leave a voice message on the class phone or set up a time to meet with me before/after school.